Tuesday, April 16, 2013

MEET OUR VOLUNTEERS - Elaine Moats

Elaine MoatsElaine Moats


Hello, my name is Elaine. I am a mom to two wonderful girls and wife to Brett. My oldest daughter was born with CDH. She was born in 1992. We did not know about the CDH until she was born thankfully because we would of been told to abort her. They did not expect her to live. That was how it was back then and because of where we were from and the doctors lack of experience with CDH, etc. She had her hernia repaired at one day old, her nissen done at 3 months old, her hole in her heart closed at 1 year old, she was oxygen dependant till age 2 1/2, she was g-tube dependant till age 4 1/2, and she had many developmental delays. She had clear sailing until her bowel obstruction at age 14. She amazes me how far she has come and how much she has had to endure. Kristin graduated High School in 2011 with honors, a member of the National Honor Society and ranked #19 in her class of over 200. Kristin was also on the varsity tennis team, on the varsity cheerleading team, in the top girls choir, and made it to State 2 years singing a solo. Outside of school Kristin loves her dance and clogging classes. All of this with only one functioning lung :) As I write this (2012) Kristin has finished her first year in college and I am happy to say she has excelled in college just like high school. My youngest daughter, Brittany, is just as amazing. I smile when I tell them they both like to make GRAND entrances. Kristin, with her CDH being a surprise and Brittany, with being born 2 months early while we were on vacation in a town of 200. Oh and by the way she was breech and I delivered her naturally in a rest home :) So my claim to fame is having 2 amazing girlies :) I have been lucky enough to be a stay at home mom up until 2 years ago. At that time I joined the work force and became an aide in Special Ed in our local K-3rd grade school. Oh what fun I have had helping these kids. In my spare time I like to read, crochet and watch my family in whatever sports event they are in.
CHERUBS has been part of our lives since 1993. I don’t know where I would have been emotionally without CHERUBS. It has been my lifeline for CDH. You have to realize in 1992 there was not all the technology available to connect us all. We have met many wonderful parents here.

No comments: