Tuesday, May 21, 2013
2013 so far for CHERUBS
2013 so far for CHERUBS:
* Senate Resolution for April 2013 as National CDH Awareness Month passed UNANIMOUSLY
* House of Resolution for April 2013 as National CDH Awareness Month currently in committee with new Co-Sponsors
* Capitol Hill visit for CDH Research Fund with plans underway!
* April 19th Marches and Events in Washington DC, Chicago, NYC, Seattle, Portland, Peoria, St Louis, Gainesville, Philadelphia, Denver, Phoenix, Las Vegas, the UK, Brazil
* Over $20,000 raised for CDH Research
* Over 12,000 Facebook Fans
* Over 4400 members
* Represented the CDH Community at the 2013 American Pediatric Surgical Association conference
* Represented CDH families at the 2013 DHREAMS meeting
* New FB app for our CDH Family Forums
* New members to our Medical Advisory Board
* MANY local events and fundraisers
* New weekly e-newsletter
* Dozens of TV and newspaper interviews
* 6 new videos
* New CDH Fundraising Kit
* Over 150 totebags sent out to new and expectant CDH families
* Nominated for a Health Advocacy Award and won several awards for being an outstanding non-profit organization
* We have visited many cherubs and families in the hospital and unfortunately gone to funerals as well. We are not just an "on-line support group", we are working hard to make a REAL difference not just in funding research and raising awareness but by being there for the families that need us.
Upcoming still for 2013:
* First ever joint International Medical & Family Conference this July in Boston with attendees from 5 countries so far
* Speaking at the CDH Community at the 2013 International CDH Study Group Conference in Holland in June
* 2 Scholarships for High School Seniors (Cherubs or siblings)
* MANY local get-togethers, picnics and fundraisers
* 2013 Stories of Cherubs Book featuring over 500 cherubs
* 2013 CDH Magazine
* New web site
* On-line CDH RESEARCH DATABASE!
* 2013 Masquerading Angels Ball in Raleigh in October
* 2013 CDH Research Raffle
* 2013 CDH Research Grant Facebook Contest
* UK CDH Ball
* UK Member Get-Together
And wait until you see what we're doing in 2014!!!
What is Congenital Diaphragmatic Hernia?
CDH occurs when the diaphragm fails to fully form, allowing abdominal organs into the chest cavity and preventing lung growth. CDH occurs in 1 of every 2500 births; somewhere in the world, a baby is born with CDH every 10 minutes. 50% of babies diagnosed with CDH do not survive. The cause is not known. Over a half million babies have been born with CDH since 2000.
CDH is as common as Spina Bifida and Cystic Fibrosis but there is very little awareness and even less research. 1600 babies are born with CDH every year in the United States. Globally, a baby is born with CDH every 10 minutes.
CHERUBS is working hard to raise more CDH Awareness, and in turn, more CDH Research, while we continue to support families affected by this devastating birth defect.
Like what we do? Please share this status!
Please donate to help us fund all of this and so much more! Donate via the tab on our FB page or at http://www.cdhdonations.org/
Contact Tracy about volunteering at firstname.lastname@example.org
Contact Melissa about holding a fundraiser at email@example.com
Learn more about CHERUBS at http://www.savethcherubs.org/