Thursday, February 14, 2013

MEET OUR VOLUNTEERS - Casey Carter

Cassandra CarterCasey Carter

Cassandra “Casey” Carter is the Texas state co-representative. I am a 25 year old survivor of a left sided CDH. Mine went undiagnosed until birth. Immediately after birth, X-rays showed my intestines, liver, spleen and stomach were in my chest cavity pushing my heart and lungs to my right side. I was immediately transferred to Children's in Dallas and was in surgery within three hours of birth. Since then, I have had two more surgeries due to scar tissue causing bowel obstructions. First surgery was at 18 months and my second one was just 2 years ago at the age of 23.

I am also a grad of Tarleton State. I have my BA in Interdisciplinary Business. Since becoming part of the Cherubs family I have been able to go to Washington DC, San Antonio, and San Francisco, to meet other families and to hear their stories. I was also able to share my story. It has been a rewarding and informative experience.

No comments: