Wednesday, March 28, 2012

CHERUBS In The Boston Marathon

A HUGE thank you to Bonnie Johnson for representing CHERUBS in the 2012 Boston Marathon in memory of Brielle Santo!

Please go support her!  We would love to have a cheering section for her there in Boston!  :)


http://www.crowdrise.com/Bostoncherubs



HERE'S THE STORY:


Hi my name is Bonnie! I had recently set a goal to qualify and run in the Boston Marathon. Now that I have qualified & got in,  I have decided to run for a cause. One that is very close to my family and heart.

Let me tell you about my great niece Brielle Theresa Santo born June 9th, 2010 to Frank & Carol Santo .  She was born with Congenital Diaphragmatic Hernia.   Brielle was on this earth for 16 days and  we give  thanks to God for those 16 days with her family. She will be forever in our hearts.   Before Brielles' birth, we have never heard of this condition which has taken so many babies lives. So now I am running not only to raise awareness but to raise funds for research through The Cherubs Organization.


CDH occurs when the diaphragm fails to fully form, allowing abdominal organs into the chest cavity and preventing lung growth. CDH occurs in 1 of every 2500 births; somewhere in the world, a baby is born with CDH every 10 minutes. 50% of babies diagnosed with CDH do not survive. The cause is not known. Over a half million babies have been born with CDH since 2000. CDH is as common as Spina Bifida and Cystic Fibrosis but there is very little awareness and even less research. CHERUBS is working hard to raise more CDH Awareness, and in turn, more CDH Research, while we continue to support families affected by this devastating birth defect.


Won't you please join me? No amount is too small!





No comments: